Monday, November 18, 2013

on By Any Other Name; first off name acidotes make me laugh, always have. like I mentioned in class about the haunted house at disney world. So these name games I got. In fact one time I made a list of names with a little story attached. See in the LDS faith we like to joke about not being Molly Mormons, who would be the perfect Mormon woman and do all her callings every week, bake her own bread know everyone in her ward(A.K.A. congrigation) and so forth; My joke was to give names like N. Active Member to the people who were in her ward, it was fun and interesting. I also get not being able to find your name at the store, I can't even find a different spelling of my name at the store and it is not that uncommon; actually I can almost never find my middle name either and there  has been a Brianna in one of my classes every semester that I can tell.
       I got to say I totally had a happy freakout when the author metioned Joseph Smith, the first latterday prohphet of my Church. The question about the breastplate I can answer too; the breastplate mentioned was not that of a roman soldier but one of a Jewish preist like in the picture on the left. Although Inonicly Joseph Smith does seem to have rather wide set eyes as well(picture on the right). I personally don't think the stones were still attached to the breast plate while he used them but instead, it has always been my suspition that he used them like one uses one of those magnifying paper weights but instead of just magnifying the words it both magnifys and translates.
         lastly about the title of the chapter Beacons Burning Down; I totally understand and know what it is like to have something you think is really stupid grow on you. I would like to compare this to the joke "I mustache you a question" at first you don't laugh. It's not a funny joke, it's a corny joke at best. Then you find yourself using it the next day on one of you friend, suddenly it's hallarious. That is what I image the author felt like the morning after hearing this line.

No comments:

Post a Comment